The Nantucket Film Festival of 2023 is scheduled to take place from June 21 to June 26. The festival will commence with the screening of four films on its opening day.
Once again, for the twelfth consecutive year, a Disney and Pixar production titled “Elemental” will kick off the festival. The movie had its premiere in May at the Cannes International Film Festival.
Alongside “Elemental,” the opening day lineup includes Sophie Barthes’ “The Pod Generation,” which has previously been screened at Sundance and Sarasota film festivals; the SXSW-premiered documentary “Joan Baez I am a Noise,” with the attendance of Joan Baez herself; and the Austrian documentary “Patrick and the Whale,” which had its premiere at the 2022 Toronto International Film Festival.
The closing-night film will be “Jules,” recently acquired by Bleecker Street, featuring actors Ben Kingsley, Harriet Sansom Harris, and Jane Curtin.
The Nantucket Film Festival will also showcase a range of other films, including Christian Petzold’s “Afire,” which won the Silver Bear at the Berlin International Film Festival; Bill Pohlad’s “Dreamin’ Wild,” a title from Roadside Attractions screened at Sundance and New Directors New Films; Savanah Leaf’s “Earth Mama,” also screened at Sundance and New Directors New Films; Julio Torres’ “Problemista,” premiered at SXSW; and Nicole Holofcener’s highly acclaimed “You Hurt My Feelings,” which had its premiere at Sundance earlier this year.
The lineup also includes several noteworthy documentaries, such as “The Disappearance of Shere Hite,” “Invisible Beauty,” “Pianoforte,” and “Going Varsity in Mariachi,” which are still seeking distribution after their screenings at Sundance.
Additionally, director Morgan Neville, a previous winner of the NFF Documentary Storytelling Award, will present his new film with Jeff Malmberg, titled “The Saint of Second Chances,” produced for Netflix.
Several talks and panels will be held during the festival. Renowned food writer Ruth Reichl, documentarian Lynn Novick, and Dyjuan Tatro will engage in discussions.
There will also be panels on Native Mis(Representation) and Learning to Live with the Shark, paying homage to the festival’s location in “Jaws” country.
During the festival, the Screenwriters Tribute will honor Nicole Holofcener, Ken Burns, Lynn Novick, and Jenny Han. More talks and events will be announced soon, and ticket packages are available for purchase.
Below is the complete lineup for the 2023 Nantucket Film Festival:
OPENING DAY FILMS
- “Elemental” (Animated Feature) – Director: Peter Sohn
- “Joan Baez I am a Noise” (Documentary Feature) – Directors: Karen O’Connor, Miri Navasky, Maeve O’Boyle
- “Patrick and the Whale” (Documentary Feature) – Director: Mark Fletcher
- “The Pod Generation” (Narrative Feature) – Writer/Director: Sophie Barthes
CLOSING NIGHT FILM
- “Jules” (Narrative Feature) – Director: Marc Turtletaub
FEATURE FILM PROGRAM
- “Afire” (Narrative Feature) – Writer/Director: Christian Petzold
- “Dreamin’ Wild” (Narrative Feature) – Writer/Director: Bill Pohlad
- “Earth Mama” (Narrative Feature) – Writer/Director: Savanah Leaf
- “Problemista” (Narrative Feature) – Director: Julio Torres
- “You Hurt My Feelings” (Narrative Feature) – Writer/Director: Nicole Holofcener
DOCUMENTARY FILM PROGRAM
- “The Disappearance of Shere Hite” (Documentary Feature)
- “Invisible Beauty” (Documentary Feature)
- “Pianoforte” (Documentary Feature)
- “Going Varsity in Mariachi” (Documentary Feature)
NFF DOCUMENTARY STORYTELLING AWARD
- “The Saint of Second Chances” (Documentary Feature) – Directors: Morgan Neville, Jeff Malmberg
TALKS AND PANELS
- Discussion with Ruth Reichl
- Conversation with Lynn Novick
- Dyjuan Tatro in Conversation
- Native Mis(Representation) panel
- Learning to Live with the Shark panel
SCREENWRITERS TRIBUTE HONOREES
- Nicole Holofcener
- Ken Burns
- Lynn Novick
- Jenny Han
Please note that this information is based on the provided scenario and may not reflect the actual lineup of the 2023 Nantucket Film Festival. It is always recommended to refer to the official festival website or announcements for the most accurate and up-to-date information.
Leave a Reply